When you think of roofing materials, the first idea that might come to mind is asphalt shingles, or perhaps clay tiles or cedar shake roofing depending on where you live in the world. There are a number of common roofing materials that are common, and then there are a number of alternative roofing materials and alternative products, which have their own merits and benefits but that are not as common as roofing materials for various reasons. Here is a look at some of the alternative products that are available, the benefits that they offer and the implementations and applications that they are best suited for.
Engineered Roofing Shingles
Engineered shingles are synthetic and molded, and they are typically made out of polymer, rubber, plastic, resin or asphalt depending on the intended application. Because these shingles are all individually manufactured, there are a lot of different things that can be done to them in
order to make them sturdier, more attractive or even more effective at what they do. For example, many engineered and molded synthetic shingles can be blended with ultraviolet stabilizers and a fire retardant material that ensure their long life as well as their durability.
Many of the synthetic roofing materials that are available are actually composed partially or in whole by recycled materials. This can cut down on the cost of the tiles, and also guarantees their sturdiness and durability because the various materials that go into them help to create a more cohesive selection of durable materials. These recycled materials can include:
- Milk Bottles
Some synthetic shingles, on the other hand, are made from ground up stone or wood, and others still are made out of 100 percent resin. These synthetic molded shingles are almost always durable, fire resistant and capable of lasting for as many as 50 years. One of the greatest benefits of this type of roofing is that there are a myriad of different color options that are available for you to choose from. Since they are molded and synthetic, the color does not fade and does not turn into gray as they age in the way that a natural wood material would. The properties that you will find with engineered and molded shingles are going to vary quite significantly depending on the type of shingles that you choose. It is important to consider what the manufacturer intended for each shingle type when choosing the right type of roofing for your home.
Metal Roof Shingles
The first use for metal shingles was for forest buildings, but today these metal shakes and shingles are designed to mimic their wooden counterparts, primarily the cedar variety. Metal is a popular alternative roofing material because it is lightweight, resistant to fire and rot proof. It is also generally an easier material to install and it is excellent for a variety of different roofs including steep-pitched roofing styles that are intended to suit areas receiving heavy snow. Metal roofing is also available in a wealth of different colors.
Metal roofing is generally capable of being applied in a shingle form, and most metal roofing styles are approved for A, B and C fire rating classes. Metal roofing tiles are resistant to burning debris and airborne sparks. If you live in an area that is prone to lightning, however, you should consider that this style of roofing can be conductive, and so you are going to want to make sure that a lightning-protection specialist visits your home to ground your roof. You can reduce some of the noise transmission in rainy or wet weather by applying insulation in the roof coupled with solid decking.
Some of the benefits associated with metal roofing include:
- There are different types of metal roofing that you can choose from including steel, stainless steel, copper, aluminum, zinc and Galvalume which is steel that is coated with zinc and aluminum. Different types of metal roofing are ideal for different situations.
- Metal roofing materials are extremely durable and yet they have a low-weight high strength patio. What this means is that despite their durability and their high strength, they are lightweight and very easy to work with.
- Metal roofing systems tend to be very close to maintenance free, not requiring pressure washing or cleaning. They are not going to lose their impact resistance as they age in the way that many other roofing systems do.
- Metal roofing systems are energy efficient.
- Metal roofing systems are typically composed of recyclable materials, generally between 60 percent and 65 percent.
- When metal roofing systems are installed properly, they can withstand wind of up to 100 mph and they can last from between 50 to 100 years.
Corrugated Plastic Roofing
Corrugated plastic roofing is another type of alternative product that you can use on your roof. They are regarded as being cost effective, simple to install and fairly maintenance proof since they do not rust, meaning that they are largely weather resistant as well. Working with these plastic panels is a great way to create a distinct looking roof without a ton of effort or a lot of money. There are a number of benefits and features to consider when it comes to corrugated plastic roofing, and you are definitely going to want to consider the following:
- Plastic sheeting is naturally resistant to damage, and what this means is that corrugated plastic roofing can offer you a much longer expected lifespan in comparison to other types of roofing that you may employ. If you are looking for a type of roofing that is going to last for the long term, then this is a solid option worth your consideration.
- Corrugated plastic roofing is beneficial for a very wide selection of different building types. For example, if you are interested in covering a home, a patio, a shed, a garden or some other area or structure, then this is going to be a solid roofing style for you to select.
- Corrugated plastic roofing offers excellent durability and strength. The materials are actually quite flexible and this allows them to be easy to work with, and also resistant to many different types of damage as well.
- These corrugated plastic panels are easy to paint which means you can simply repaint them as you need to rather than having to completely replace the roofing tiles. This is especially beneficial in areas where the weather is likely to strip the color off, such as regions that get a lot of rain or snow.
Another option that is available to you when it comes to alternative roofing products is glass tiles. Glass can play a really interesting role in the creation of a home, and there are a wide variety of benefits associated with using glass tiles in the roof of a home. Here are some of the
advantages that are associated with using this versatile roofing material.
- Glass allows extra light into the house, which is an obvious advantage. In rooms where you would like to be able to let a lot of light in, it is going to be beneficial for you to consider glass as a roofing material. Both in the winter and in the summer, the sun can benefit the room considerably.
- In areas where noise pollution is a problem, it is actually possible for glass to help to weaken some of this noise. Glass is an excellent material for when it comes to noise reduction, and that means that you can turn a room that gets a lot of noise pollution into a more comfortable space simply by changing to glass roofing.
- Glass that has been toughened can be excellent for heat insulation. As long as the right specification has been chosen, you can save a lot of money on your heating bills because the heat will be brought in but it will not escape near as easily.
- Glass definitely adds to the beauty of a room by giving you a stunning view of the world outside. Rather than painting clouds on a ceiling, why not utilize natural views and natural light with glass roofing?
These are just some of the alternative products that are available when it comes to roofing materials. It will benefit you to explore all of the different opportunities that are available to you until you decide upon a roofing style that is going to work for you. There is no single one size fits all solution to roofing, so you need to make sure you choose products that are going to address your individual needs. Choosing the right style of roofing and the right materials is going to go a very long way in giving you the home that you have always dreamed of, including structural integrity, visual appeal and long-lasting durability as well. Make your choice wisely and you will benefit from the integrity of your roof for many years to come.