Is your fireplace just a large accessory keeping you from putting your couch up against a certain wall? Even if you never use your fireplace, it can be so much more than just an irritating living room limitation. Check out these 10 ways to obtain a high-quality fireplace makeover that will make you want to admire it, not just tolerate it.
1. What Are Different Types Of Fireplaces?
There are a lot of different indoor fireplaces to choose from that fall into four main categories: wood burning, gas burning, ethanol burning, and electric fireplaces. The type of fireplace makeover you choose probably depends more on the exterior look of your fireplace than how it runs, but different fireplace types require different home setups.
Wood burning and gas burning fireplaces require access to a chimney, while ethanol burning and electric fireplaces can be installed on any wall, anywhere in the home. Many ethanol and electric fireplaces can be installed with a traditional wood-burning fireplace mantel, giving you the option of a classic look without the negative aspects of wood burning.
2. How Are Fireplaces Traditionally Decorated?
Traditionally, fireplaces are decorated with a wooden mantel above the opening. Frequently, the fireplace opening is surrounded by brickwork.
3. How Can You Get A Fireplace?
Getting a fireplace installed can be a costly endeavor, but if you’re hoping to actually have a fire in your fireplace, it’s worth the money to keep your home safe. For easy installation (and a lower cost), talk to a contractor about adding a gas fireplace. This only requires the creation and installation of a gas vent, as opposed to a wood burning fireplace, which requires a chimney.
4. Where Can You Buy Materials For Your Fireplace Makeover?
Fireplace materials can be purchased at home improvement stores and online, depending on the type of fireplace makeover you’re going to use.
5. Price Range
Fireplace makeovers have a wide range of prices, depending primarily on the materials to be used. Paint and wallpaper are the least expensive options, running between $9-$40. Some of the more expensive options will include a drastic and permanent change to the look of your home. Cabinetry will be over $100, and concrete fireplace additions will probably cost more than just the price of Quikcrete with the planning and labor required.
How We Reviewed
The following products were reviewed based on the following parameters: Features, Pros & Cons, Price, and Where to Buy. Your favorite fireplace makeover idea will depend on your budget, style, and home; but we searched high and low to compile a thorough and accurate list of fireplace makeover options.
What We Reviewed
- One Coat Coverage - Glidden One Coat Interior Paint & Primer has exceptional hide and stain block which means you need...
- Makes Walls Washable - Exceptional scrubbability and washability make sure that if anything does get on your finish, it...
- Colors Chosen By Experts - These hand-selected beautiful Beige Paint Colors make Glidden One Coat Interior Paint perfect...
Does your living room need a pop of color? Paint can be the perfect affordable solution to a bland living room. A fresh coat of colorful paint can really make your fireplace pop and create a new focal point for the room. This fireplace makeover option can expand to not just improve the look of your fireplace, but the whole house. Consider only painting the wall with the fireplace to add interest to the room, or just paint the area around the fireplace itself.
- Marble Paper——SIZE：16" x 135" inches Material – PVC, self-adhesive (No extra glue needed). high quality and...
- Marble Paper——TOP QUALITY PRODUCT: Authentic Marble Look Renovates Your Furniture with A Super Low Budget. The...
- Marble Paper——APPLICATION：Quick and easy to install - just peel and stick. Films have trimming gridlines on the...
Marble adhesive paper is an excellent way to quickly create a fireplace makeover. This adhesive paper gives your fireplace the look of an expensive antique piece at an affordable price. It is also the perfect fireplace makeover for a rental property or the family who is apt to change their mind. It is just as quick and easy to remove as it is to apply. The marble adhesive paper can be cut and shaped to perfectly fit your needs.
- Personalize your fireplace with this white crown molding shelf
- 60 inch mantel shelf 's wood slat wall mount creates clean look
- Materials: Engineered wood in crisp clean white
If your fireplace is currently lonely on its wall, consider adding a classic mantel to spruce it up. Mantels come in all shapes and sizes, so be sure to measure your fireplace before purchasing. They can also consist of one shelf above the fireplace, or three full pieces to surround the fireplace. A mantel can also be the perfect place to hold family photos or your favorite knickknacks, and can also add a bright touch of color. Mantels add value to your home and provide a blank canvas to redecorate whenever you want.
- Prestige Paints has created a comparable color based on color specifications of the original color using industry...
- This Benjamin Moore paint color name is a trademark of Benjamin Moore. Prestige Paints is not associated or affiliated...
- Smooth Application ideal for living rooms, family rooms, media rooms, bedrooms, dining rooms, kitchens and hallways
If you’re looking to complete a fireplace makeover to brighten up your living space, look no further than a quick whitewash to give your fireplace a fresh new face. Whitewashing is an easy process that can be used on nearly any surface. This fireplace makeover is the perfect solution for DIY aficionados and craft enthusiasts who want to put their own individual touch on their fireplace.
Simply paint the surface with a light coat of white paint (or paint small sections), and wipe down the paint to give it a more distressed look. You can add as many coats of paint as you like to get the desired color. Consider giving the surface a quick sanding to enhance the texture and make the finished color really unique.
- High quality printed canvas stretched and stapled to durable shrink resistant frames.
- 1.50" thick stretcher bars for gallery quality profile.
- Canvases are printed and hand stretched in the USA by professionals.
Another fantastic way to give your fireplace the makeover it deserves, is to add art above the fireplace itself. Either set artwork on your mantel or display it above to make your fireplace the focal point of the room. Choose a piece by a local artist, a print of your favorite classic, or one of your child’s best pieces. Large, tall pieces easily extend the fireplace area to the ceiling.
- Brick handmade-looking tiles resemble rustic style with shade variation
- Each tile is approximately 2 x 10”. Box contains 32 tiles = 5.16 square feet
- For Indoor/Outdoor: House facade, Kitchen backsplash, Fireplace surround
When we hear backsplash, we usually think kitchen or bathroom, but these beautiful tiles can provide the ideal fireplace makeover. Choose your favorite tile color or style, and apply. These tiles can be easily applied with any glue and are guaranteed to make your fireplace pop. Some even come with peel-and-stick backings to make the application process even quicker.
Consider using themed tiling to match your home and your personality. Combine brightly colored tiles with rows of understated pastels, or use tiles that combine metallic finishes with pastel colors. You can also add tiles in as many ways as you want to your fireplace area. Add one simple row to highlight the fireplace, or add multiple rows of varying styles and sizes to give it some flair.
- A Clean Stylish look of realistic Stacked Limestone wall anywhere in your home
- Roll Size 20.5 in x 33 ft / 53 cm x 10 m
- Design Repeat & Match: 20.8 in / 53 cm, Half Drop Match
If you’re looking for a classic stone fireplace but don’t want to spend the time and money to install it, look no further! This stacked limestone wall wallpaper might be the perfect fireplace makeover for your home. It is affordable and easy to cut and apply to any surface. It is available in a variety of colors and brick styles.
- Bookcase with two fixed and three adjustable shelves
- Protective kick plate to keep mess from sliding underneath
- Constructed from sturdy laminated particleboard
Adding a bookshelf or cabinet to your fireplace structure, or to surround you fireplace, can really enhance the room. With the use of some power tools or close measuring and shopping around, bookshelves and cabinets can be modeled or shaped to fit your space exactly. Your fireplace makeover with cabinets and bookshelves will certainly be unique and will provide your family plenty of additional storage space. Like a mantel, they can be styled again and again.
- Enjoy- Have the appearance of marble at your event without all the hassle of the real thing.
- Create a Unique Look in Any Setting- These light-weight Marble-Look Fluted Columns are made from heavy duty cardboard
- Perfect for Any Event- Ideal for prom, homecoming, formal dances, other glamorous occasions and perfect for the party...
The addition of pillars around your fireplace can give it a new dramatic look. If your fireplace is in a big or empty room and you’re looking to really focus the visitor’s attention on the fireplace makeover, pillars might be exactly the solution you’re looking for. These pillars are made of cardboard but retain a traditional marble look, making them elegant while also easy to move and use.
Of course, sturdier, better quality pillars would be even better. Some fireplace mantels incorporate pillars within the design as well.
- Cheng Concrete countertop pro formula is designed for precast concrete countertops
- No guesswork, just add sacked concrete mix and water
- High quality pigments provide vibrant, stable, long lasting colors
For people looking to really switch up their living room look, adding some concrete decorations or shelves might be the answer to your fireplace makeover problems. Be sure to contact a contractor or artist before beginning your project, as added concrete might affect the balance or structure of your home, and you want to ensure the concrete is mixed, poured, and secured properly.
The ideal tools for your fireplace makeover depend completely on your style, budget, and home. If you’re looking for a quick update for your fireplace, consider surrounding your fireplace with a fresh coat of brightly colored paint, or giving it a quick whitewash.
Easy fireplace makeovers can be finished in a flash with limestone wallpaper or marble adhesive paper, and marble-esque columns or a concrete shelf can make the fireplace the highlight of your home. Tiling your fireplace can add an excellent splash of color, texture, or light to your room; and art can be a quick and easy way to add some interest to your fireplace, while extending the visual aspect of the space.
Whatever your budget, your fireplace makeover can happen faster than you think. Nearly all fireplace makeover suggestions are entirely customizable, and offer you the opportunity to turn your fireplace into something new, exciting, and fantastic.