Deciding to give up on your dog’s leash and use a wireless dog fence instead might just be one of the best decisions you’ve ever made. It will give your beloved pet the freedom and independence any animal craves for. It will also put your mind at ease as far as its safety is concerned. This is why we’ve built a small guide for you on what you need to know before choosing a wireless dog fence.
How does a wireless electric dog fence work?
The systems consist of two parts, the transmitter and the collar the dog wears, which acts as a receiver. Simply put, the transmitter radiates a signal which the dog collar receives. Its strength depends entirely on you, as you can set it manually. The idea is that the stronger this signal is, the larger the area it can cover. This means less or more space for your dog to roam in. On average, the area is set somewhere between 15ft and 90ft. However, should you wish to give your dog more space, you can combine several transmitters.
For the system to work, you must install the transmitter and make sure it’s turned on, so that it can start emitting signals. Put the collar on your dog and make sure he keeps it on at all times. Needless to say, if he manages to take it off, the system won’t work anymore. If the dog tries to move outside the area you bordered, he will hear a distinct sound, signaling him to go no further. If the dog ignores this signal, then he will receive a mild correction electric shock from the collar.
This will let the animal know it’s not allowed beyond that perimeter. You needn’t worry about your pet understanding or learning this. Dogs are highly trainable animals. It will only take a couple of shocks around the perimeter for it to understand he is not allowed any further. One important thing for you to know here is that the correctional shocks may become stronger and more frequent as the dog approaches the limit. This depends on the type of system you have and its settings. Also, the shocks will not hurt your dog whatsoever, so you can rest assured this is completely safe.
Which type of wireless fence for dogs should you choose?
For you to make the proper choice for your dog and your yard, you must do some research online and read the wireless dog fence reviews. Apart from that, here are a few things for you to consider before heading out to shop for a new wireless dog fence.
- Will a wireless dog fence work with the type of yard you have? Think about the following three criteria – your yard’s size, its landscape, and shape. A wireless system usually provides around 25 feet of space for your dog to move around in. Depending on the dog and his needs to exercise and on the yard itself, this might be too little space. Therefore, you can purchase an extension kit or add more units, to create overlapping areas.
- Will a wireless fence work well with your dog? Before you buy anything, you need to take the dog’s size, age, breed, and personality into account. The majority of systems come with a minimum weight requirement of 5 to 8 pounds. This is why some very small dogs, like Chihuahuas or Terriers, may not even be able to carry the receiver. However, this issue does not need to be addressed, since this type of dogs shouldn’t actually be left outside unsupervised.
But, at the other end of the size scale, you have dogs like Mastiffs or Great Danes which are too big for the receiver. They will require more intense correction shocks, which they can actually feel and take into account.
- What is your budget for the wireless fence? The price will differ according to the manufacturer, model you choose, quality, and selected method of installation. You also need to take into account the fact that you will have to bring in a specialist to install it, who will have to be paid by the hour. Additional costs consist of extra batteries and several other collars if you have more than one dog.
What are the best wireless dog fence brands?
According to online ratings and users’ reviews, here are the top four wireless dog fence brands available today.
#1. Petsafe wireless dog fence
They are considered to be the best brand in the world when it comes to these devices. Their products are sold in over 50 countries on 6 continents. As far as wireless dog fences go, they offer two models.
- The PIF00-12917 – it retails for $369.99, it’s portable and has a very small collar and unit. Most users have reported that they are very satisfied with this product. The only trouble they had with it was the way it has to be charged. In the case of long time usage, you have to respect the charging specifications; otherwise, it won’t charge.
- The PIF-300 – It retails for $299.99, and it works on a ½ an acre area.
#2. Havahart Wireless
They too have different models which you can purchase.
- Radial-Shape Wireless – It covers up to 11 acres and costs approximately $159. You must take into consideration the fact that it was designed for dogs older than 6 months and which weigh more than 8 lbs.
- Custom-Shape Wireless – this is a more advanced system, seeing as it can cover an area of up to 25 acres. You can also divide this area into 4 zones. This is the reason it’s quite expensive, retailing for $999.
- Fence Free Underground – it covers 3 acres, but you can use an extension kit to take it up to 13. If you do this, the system will also allow you to cover two dogs. The price is $232.
#3. Perimeter Technologies, Inc.
They have been making invisible fences since 1976 and, at the moment, they promote two models.
- The Pet Stop – This one is highly specialized and, thusly, can only be acquired via specialized dealers.
- Perimeter – This system was specially designed for household consumers, which means just about anyone can install it. Also, you can buy it anywhere, including online stores.
#4. High Tech Pet
Founded in 1986, this California-based company offers the following solutions.
- Indoor Sonic Electronic Fence – This system’s particularity is that it works for both dogs and cats. It’s meant to be used indoors and it keeps your pets from entering areas you don’t want them to, such as the kitchen, the bedroom or your child’s room.
- Heavy Duty Ultrasonic Outdoor WIRELESS FENCE SYSTEMS – this system is waterproof and uses a loud sound which is sonic in nature so that dogs won’t approach the designated area. It also works for other animals.
Wireless dog fences are typically available in all retail stores, as well as online. Prices will vary from area to area, but all their characteristics will remain the same.